CJ499 Criminal Justice Capstone – Week 2 Assignment
Title and Abstract
Research Paper (including Title Page/ Abstract instructions)
You will be working on a 12-15 page, APA style research paper for the duration of this course. The paper is broken up into components in which you will be required to complete at different intervals throughout the course. A working draft for this research paper will be due in week 6 for peer review. A revised draft version will be submitted for instructor review in week 7. The final research paper will be due at the end of week 8. This week, you will turn in your title page and abstract.
The final research paper consists of:
· The abstract is a short (about 100-500 word) summary of the entire paper. It should include: goals and objectives, results, and conclusions. It is usually one of the last parts of the paper to be written.
· The introduction also has three main purposes. First, it provides background and motivation for your topic (usually includes a review of current literature on the topic). Second, it describes the focus and purpose of the paper you are writing. Third, it gives an overview of what is contained in the paper’s various sections.
· This section describes what you did, how you did it, gives strategies, sample calculations, diagrams and circuits, and descriptions of equipment. The goal here is to give the reader sufficient information to be able to repeat your work if desired. (Of course some “standard techniques” can be simply referenced).
· This section is where you prove your point with the data. Give graphs and tables of costs, profits, whatever your data is. Also give some description or guide to help the reader recognize your important points.
· Here you state what you learned or proved. What are the “take home messages” or major accomplishments of this work? You may also describe interesting observations, new questions, and future work here.
· A list of the references you used in the work & writing the paper.
Examine the following areas within our criminal justice system and select one of these topics as a basis for your final research paper. The topics are meant to provide an axis or direction to for you to explore in your research. Contact your instructor if you have any questions, or need assistance in determining the topic for your paper.
Juvenile justice system
- Explain the history and different stages of the juvenile justice system
- What exactly is police discretion and how influential is it concerning the decision to arrest a juvenile?
- What are the laws constraining police in searches and seizures of juvenile suspects?
- Describe the alternative dispositions available to the juvenile court.
- Explain the waivers by which a juvenile from juvenile to criminal court for prosecution as an adult
Criminal Justice and Policing
- Identify and correlate the various theories in policing
- Examine the various policing approaches currently being used in law enforcement
- Agencies along with traditional policing, to include community policing, problem-solving policing, intelligence-led policing, and evidence-based policing, among others.
Explain how, as a supervisor or manager in law enforcement, you would lead your agency in contemporary policing approaches.
Criminological theories: How they work in today’s law enforcement
A strong theoretical infrastructure is vital in the discipline of criminal justice. Theoretical research support all facets of our criminal justice system, to include academics, students, and learned practitioners as well. Many decisions and established laws derived from a theoretical lens, and disciplined review. Criminal justice theory is essential in examining the why of criminal justice behavior and to bring about substantive change in our criminal justice system.
- What are the varieties of criminological theories relative toward the causation of crime. Be specific in your explanation of each theory.
- Identify and explain the theories that you believe are influential in enhancing or deterring recidivism.
This week, your title page and abstract are due. Submit a title page and a 250-word abstract on your topic for your final paper. It should be from a current and relative criminal justice issue. In the abstract, explain the issue and discuss briefly how the issue is handled in the criminal justice system. Ensure you comply with APA requirements and include all components necessary for an abstract. Submit your title page and your abstract by day 7.