BEING AN EFFECTIVE FOLLOWER
Robert Kelley (1992), author of The Power of Followership, suggested that effective followers possess four common qualities:
They are self-managing and able to work effectively without direct supervision;
They are very committed to the organization’s goals;
They possess a high level of competence and mastery of their job skills; and
They act with a high level of credibility and ethics in their job performance.
In this Discussion, you will consider what it means to be a good follower and will consider your own effectiveness in that role.
To prepare for this Discussion:
Review this week’s Learning Resources on followership.
Consider your own strengths and areas for growth as a follower and how you might improve your followership skills.
Post a summary of what effective followership entails, including an analysis of your own effectiveness as a follower. Based on your reading and analysis of this week’s Learning Resources, as well as your own experience and observations, respond to the following:
Do you see yourself as an effective follower? Why or why not? Be sure to provide examples.
What are your strengths and weaknesses, or shortcomings, in being an effective follower? What actions can you take to improve your followership skills?
How can being an effective follower translate to effective leadership? Hint: Your discussion should consider how the “followers” empower or enable the leader’s behaviors (for good or bad).
What recommendations would you make for leaders to better empower and support their followers to meet their goals?
Expert Solution Preview
Being an effective follower is an important quality in any profession, including the medical field. In this discussion, we will explore the qualities of effective followership and reflect on our own effectiveness as followers. We will also consider how being an effective follower can translate into effective leadership and provide recommendations for leaders to better support and empower their followers.
1. Do you see yourself as an effective follower? Why or why not? Be sure to provide examples.
As a medical college student, I see myself as an effective follower. One example of this is when I work effectively without direct supervision. I take the initiative to manage my time and tasks efficiently, ensuring that I complete assignments on time and actively participate in group projects without the need for constant guidance from instructors or mentors. This self-management ability highlights my effectiveness as a follower.
2. What are your strengths and weaknesses or shortcomings in being an effective follower? What actions can you take to improve your followership skills?
One of my strengths as a follower is my commitment to the organization’s goals. I am deeply passionate about the field of medicine and strive to contribute positively to the advancement of healthcare. However, one area of weakness in my followership is my occasional hesitancy to actively voice my ideas or concerns. To improve this, I can work on enhancing my communication skills and building confidence in expressing my thoughts constructively. Additionally, seeking feedback from fellow students, professors, and mentors can help me identify areas for improvement and develop strategies to enhance my followership skills further.
3. How can being an effective follower translate into effective leadership? Hint: Your discussion should consider how the “followers” empower or enable the leader’s behaviors (for good or bad).
Being an effective follower can translate into effective leadership as it allows individuals to understand the needs and dynamics of a team better. Effective followers have a high level of competence and mastery of their job skills, which provides a strong foundation for assuming leadership roles. By understanding the challenges and responsibilities of followership, leaders can empathize with their team members, make well-informed decisions, and provide guidance and support. This empowerment from followers enables leaders to establish positive relationships and collaborate effectively, enhancing overall team productivity and success.
4. What recommendations would you make for leaders to better empower and support their followers to meet their goals?
To better empower and support their followers, leaders should:
– Provide clear goals and expectations: Clearly communicate objectives and performance expectations, ensuring followers understand what is required to meet their goals.
– Recognize and appreciate contributions: Acknowledge and celebrate the achievements and efforts of followers, fostering a positive and motivating work environment.
– Foster open communication: Encourage a culture of open dialogue where followers can freely express their ideas, concerns, and suggestions, promoting active engagement and problem-solving.
– Provide opportunities for growth and development: Support followers’ professional development by providing training, mentoring, and opportunities to enhance skills and advance careers.
– Delegate responsibilities: Delegate appropriate tasks and responsibilities to followers, granting them autonomy and the chance to contribute meaningfully to the team’s goals.
– Act as a role model: Display ethical behavior and lead by example, inspiring followers to exhibit similar standards of professionalism and ethics.
By implementing these recommendations, leaders can effectively empower and support their followers, enabling them to achieve their goals and contribute to the overall success of the organization.